http://www.makepovertyhistory.org It's all about the journey: I am such a Girly Man

Saturday, December 20, 2008

I am such a Girly Man


It's been quite some time since my last Blog entry. We last saw Petethecanuck (yours truly) finish a bloody epic month of training waaay back in April with new PB's in both cycling and swimming training volumes.

I was in great form heading into May and felt very confident about a making the podium at the 2008 Triathlon World Championships in Vancouver that June. Possibly even improving on my Silver medal finish from 2007 in Hamburg.

Unfortunately this was not meant to be. In early May I suffered a serious injury to my left foot, preventing me from competing in any races in the 2008 season. Far as racing was concerned, this year was a complete wash out.

Overcoming adversity it seems was to be my challenge for the remainder of 2008. In June I marked my 10 year anniversary of the accident (or reborn day) and had hoped for a celebratory occasion.

Instead I had a serious relapse with my PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) stemming from my accident and for several weeks I suffered flashbacks and moments of anxiety. I was so freaked out I couldn't even ride outside.

Thankfully I was able to work through this time of crisis and for the remainder of the summer I enjoyed many long beautiful rides.

I spent the off season (aka the Fall) like many age group athletes; weight lifting, cross training (in my case playing heaps of Volleyball at the Y), eating, eating and yes even more eating LOL.

The past month or so I've been back on the bike and am starting to regain my form. My Christmas plans include; aside from drinking a few bottles of wine and hoping to spend at least 14 hrs in the saddle pedaling about 350km per week for the two week break.

I started my *big bike week* today with a nice 2 hr ride while watching Navy lose to Wake Forest in the EagleBank Bowl. :(

It's going to be a great Christmas. Me, some wine and my bike.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Sorry to hear about your trying year but I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you've pulled through it admirably. I can't believe it's been that long already. I think I met you not too long after the accident. Glad we've been able to keep in contact in some form or another. I'm pulling for you this next year. Keep me in the loop on when your races are! Good luck mate and have an awesome 2009!

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home